NCBTMB is proud to introduce the profession’s first Oncology Massage Specialty Certificate Program. This program combines superior educational programs and an assessment-based exam to empower therapists to safely work with complications of cancer and cancer treatment.
By completing an Oncology Massage Program through CATA NYC or S4OM, as well as passing the Specialty Exam, you will be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to work safely and effectively with cancer patients and adapt for the side effects of cancer treatments ranging from medications, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
The Oncology Massage Specialty Exam is categorized into four sections:
- Section 1: Overview of Cancer & Its Impact on the Body
- Pathophysiology of Cancer
- Signs & Symptoms
- Stages of Cancer
- Types of Cancer
- Section 2: Principle Treatments & Side Effects
- Chemotherapy and Adjunct Medications
- Section 3: Contraindications and Precautions – Adaption of Massage Techniques
- Adjustments related to Client’s Emotional State
- Knowledge of Disease-Related Massage Adjustments
- Knowledge of Treatment-Related Adjustments
- Standard Precautions for Immunosuppressed Clients
- General Session Adjustments
- Section 4: Standards of Practice and Administrative Concerns
- Key Definitions
- Gathering Health History Information
- Record Keeping
- Scope of Practice
Upon passing the Specialty Exam, therapists are provided a NCBTMB Specialty Certificate in Oncology Massage to present to key stakeholders, such as employers. The certificate arrives within 4-6 weeks following exam completion.