NCBTMB is proud to partner with The Heart Touch Project to empower new and veteran massage therapists with the opportunity to achieve a Specialty Certificate in Pain and Palliative Care.
Under this new partnership, therapists become eligible for the credential upon completion of the Heart Touch Pain and Palliative Care Massage Therapy Training Program or upon completion of the NCBTMB Portfolio Review process (available Spring 2019), both of which culminate with the NCBTMB Specialty Exam. With the credential, therapists can provide these critical services to individuals in hospital and hospice settings.
Spots for the Heart Touch Pain and Palliative Care Massage Therapy Training Program are open for applying immediately. All spots are limited. More information and applications can be found at http://www.hearttouch.org/pain-and-palliative-curriculum
The following courses and internship hours are required to complete the Heart Touch Pain and Palliative Care Massage Therapy Training Program:
- Heart Touch Method Training (20 hours)
- Massage for Pediatric Patients (20 hours)
- Pain and Palliative Massage (16 hours)
- Oncology Massage 1: Outpatient (24 hours; meets S4OM criteria)
- Oncology Massage 2: Inpatient (24 hours; meets S4OM criteria)
- Essential Oils in the Health Care Setting (16 hours)
- Mind-Body Integration for Palliative Care (8 hours)
- Hospital Internship (60 hours)
- Pain and Palliative Meetings & Grand Rounds (12 hours)
All massage therapists must complete the Heart Touch Method Training, Massage for Pediatric Patients, Mind-Body Integration for Palliative Care, and Pain and Palliative Massage trainings before starting an internship. Therapists may complete up to 30 hours of internship without taking Oncology Massage 1 & 2, and the Essential OIls in the Health Care Setting trainings. In addition, therapists must have completed the entire didactic portion of the training before completing the last 30 hours of interning.
You can become eligible to obtain a Specialty Certificate in Pain and Palliative Care through ONE of the following pathways:
- Complete the Heart Touch Pain and Palliative Care Massage Training Program and pass the NCBTMB Specialty Exam, OR
- Complete the NCBTMB Portfolio Review Process and pass the NCBTMB Specialty Exam (available Spring 2018).
Candidates who successfully complete one of the above pathways (including a passing score on the NCBTMB Specialty Exam) will be awarded an official NCBTMB Specialty Certificate in Pain and Palliative Care. In addition, Heart Touch program graduates will receive a letter of verification outlining the education and training they have received, which may be provided to stakeholders, such as employers.
Candidates may apply for the Heart Touch Pain and Palliative Care Massage Training Program immediately, as spots are limited. To apply, visit http://www.hearttouch.org/pain-and-palliative-curriculum.
The NCBTMB Pain and Palliative Care Specialty Exam and Portfolio Review Applications will be available beginning Spring 2018.